Our Seva program is open for registrations for the Spring/Summer season of 2022!
Seva means literally “Selfless, Devotional Service” – the act of giving and serving in a disinterested manner. Seva is in the tradition of Sikh Dharma one of the 4 pillars of life and behaviour, it is an attitude towards life – to give instead of taking. Seva is the highest attitude, where you put your best and serve it in the name of God and Guru. Seva reminds us that God is the great giver. Seva is the greatest meditation, is what gives us humility, radiance and teaches us how to excel and how to elevate others.
“I promise you that those who shall serve others, the Almighty God shall have no power but to serve them, that is the only way. Your power is not in your strength and weakness, in your show and your capacity, in your titles and your achievements, in your money, and in your playing games. Your power is to uplift others. Those who uplift others, God shall uplift them, because it is God’s Will to uplift everybody. When you live in your Godliness, He will not let you fall“
– Siri Singh Sahib Yogi Bhajan 6/20/93
The Guru Ram Das Institute and Ashram in Estonia is offering since 2021 a Seva program for volunteers (“sevadars”), to come for a short or long-term in-depth experience of Ashram living and practice in the traditions of Kundalini Yoga, Sikh Dharma and Karam Kriya while spending time outdoors helping in the vegetable garden and general maintenance and running of the Ashram.
It takes 40-days for a transformation to happen – to get rid of a habit or to apply a new habit. We recognize it is not always possible to take 40 days to to the intensive transformation, so we are opening also opportunities for shorter or longer stay Seva at the Ashram.
You can also join for a single day – to enjoy the clean air, nature walks, healthy food and do some garden work or rest.
For daytime visits please read the House Rules, below details and send a whatsapp to +37253721839 latest ONE DAY before your planned day (by 20:00 hrs), with your estimated arrival time and if you will be joining for any meals.
(Open) donation for day visits please bring in cash
What to expect
- Outdoor living in pure, clean environment in the forest, spending most of your day in the fresh air.
- Nordic deciduous forest weather, which in the spring means cool mornings, relative humid weather, warm days, mosquitoes.
- Nutritious vegan meals cooked together by Sevadars
- Shared accommodation in a cabin equipped with furnace to be heating as needed for ladies (bedding provided), for lads cabin with temporary gas heating is provided.
- Outdoor showers, ecological dry toilets, ecological living powered by off-grid solar panels and pure water from a local well.
- Time to relax, unwind and get back to nature
- 2 days off per week to relax or visit local villages, and other sights (as arranged beforehand)
- A commitment to the principle of working with nature constantly look for ways to reduce waste, and give preference to natural, local and/or eco friendly products
- Two friendly cats living in the property, and occasional sightings of wild animals such as rabbits, foxes, hedgehogs and deer.
- Two to six sevadars at the time
- Daily general cleaning routines like laundry, cooking, take care of the vegetable garden, small repairs, hosting guests/ groups
- Schedule accordingly to the Seva Program (see below)
- Daily sadhana (led also by sevadars and others), Gurdwara program and kirtan
- Discounts on yoga classes, workshops etc. during your stay as a sevadar.
• Responsible, committed to the experience
• Working with an international team of Sevadars
•Complete your responsibility and jobs appointed
• Respect boundaries and good manners
• Good time management
• Cleanliness as godliness
• Conscious management of resources (including electricity, water, waste)
• Practice conscious and compassionate communication
• A strong commitment to go through the experience of change and transformation
• Do your part in maintaining a vibrant and elevating atmosphere in the Ashram
• Working for up to 25 hrs per week (own schedule upon agreement) eg, 5 days of 5 hours work and two days off per week (this does not include leading sadhana, kirtan, etc).
• Sevadars are asked to participate (or lead if you are a kundalini yogi or teacher) in daily sadhana and kirtan which takes place in the dome or outside depending on the weather.
• Attend weekly Ashram team meetings
• If needed, private consultations with Sukhdev Kaur can be booked separately
Sevadar program commitment
10€ per day to cover food and other costs. This includes breakfast, lunch and soup dinner every day and accommodation in shared cabins. Travel costs need to be covered by you fully. *** There are of course discounts on this for volunteers who cannot afford to pay these costs. Please note that in your application.
We require all Sevadars to have a valid residence permit in Europe and a valid health insurance for the full duration of their stay. The program at the moment is open from 18th of May until the 3th of July. (we will extend the season upon availability)
****Before you apply, please READ AND AGREE to the Ashram’s House Rules found here.
Fill up the form below. If you have any inquiries please contact Sukhdev Kaur firstname.lastname@example.org