“A nation is based on the concept of the child in the first forty days. Let those days be peaceful so that his or her life may be based on peace, then peace may begin to reign on this planet.”
Congratulations! The first 40 days with your child build up a strong foundation for life. They are extremely important and all you need to do is enjoy your time with your baby and allow for her to bond with you. You are the first teacher and reference, with you she feels back at home, so it is important that she is with you most of the time and can satisfy her bodily needs right on time.
Three highly recommended articles:
“The things I learnt from my 40 days” by Sukhdev K
“Motherhood resources: books and articles to support you as a mother”
“First Forty Days of Life: I Learn to Belong and to Trust” By Taran Taran K
RECOMMENDATIONS after birth (first weeks / months):
– Enjoy your time with your child, sleep as often as s/he sleeps, offer the breast on demand. (That includes when you/he is ill, breast milk will help both recover quickly)
– Yoga right after birth (and FOR LIFE!): Pelvic floor muscle exercises! Very important for healing and recovering – Every movement must start from the pelvic floor muscles, when you walk, carry your child, speak, sit, the strength comes from the pelvic floor!
– Align your posture. Keep a straight back when feeding your child and a good posture, use (hard) pillows to bring your child up to the breast and not the other way around. Make yourself comfortable while sleeping, holding or breastfeeding.
– Use a rear-facing carrier suitable for newborns (NEVER use front-facing carriers where the baby faces frontwards)
– Be gentle with your body. Do not overstress or strain. Practice only soft pregnancy yoga and stretches after birth for the first 1.5 – 3 months (depending on your recuperation). Stretch every day
– Get someone (a friend, sister, mother, not your partner!) to help you with everyday duties (washing, cooking, taking care of other children). This will help you feel more relaxed and bond with your child in this fundamental time.
– Meditate and play uplifting music.
– Drink lots of water and lactation tea.
– Eat your placenta capsules. (for information ask Sukhdev K)
To be consumed as soon as possible after birth of placenta. The smoothie is made of 3-4 pieces of fresh placenta, a handful of fresh organic berries of choice, 1 whole banana and water. Restores uterus and brings all the healing benefits of the stem cells and growth factors back to your body. The rest of the placenta can be made into capsules (Appropriate placenta storage and care is extremely important). For more information on placenta benefits and consumption contact Sukhdev Kaur or here.
Childbirth Subzee (Days 1-3. NB! eat this ONLY before your milk comes in!)
Enjoy this dish daily served with rice and yogurt. After childbirth, this dish regenerates the nervous system and heals the uterus.
Sauté in Ghee or coconut oil until lightly brown 1 cup of ginger, chopped medium fine
Add and stir for 2 minutes so it does not burn: 1 tbs. Turmeric powder, 1 tsp. black pepper, 1 tsp cumin seeds (if desired; supports digestion). Add 2 finely chopped onions and continue to stir for 1 minute. Add a few tablespoons of water, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add 2 cups yoghurt and continue to simmer for 20 minutes.
To add extra protein and to thicken: add 1-2 tbl. garbanzo flour. Cook well for 15 minutes.
Sautéed Almonds (1-40 days)
Enjoy this snack before breakfast, throughout 40 days as well as during your menstruation. Almonds prepared in this way help the uterus to heal faster. Tannic acid in the almond skins assist to heal the uterus. A woman should avoid eating almonds with the skin, unless they are sautéed.
Heat 1 tsp. almond oil or ghee on medium low heat and add 8-10 almonds, with skins. Stir constantly until skins crack, and then remove from heat. Add1⁄2 tsp. honey. Serve warm.
-Recipes from the Teachings of Yogi Bhajan, smoothie by Lynnea Shrief from IPEN.
More sources of inspiration for mamas (good books, articles, links..) “Motherhood resources”
Baby and mommy yoga
You are welcome to experience yoga in a totally new way
with your baby, after he/she turns 2 months.
More information on the classes here.